Wednesday, September 3, 2008

My Post Caused a Bit of a Stir on MSN Money

First of all I’d like to thank MSN money for the reference to my post on Outsourcing Our Chores - Do We Overvalue Our Spare Time? Secondly I’d like to clarify the point I was trying to make. I do suggest you read my post rather than just comment based on the more controversial part of it.

Anyone familiar with my writing knows that my arguments are based on economic principles. I’m the last person to try and monetize everything and I’m actually speaking against it.
In my post I claim many of us use the excuse of the monetary value of their working hours to justify paying professionals to do their chores while usually corrupting away the spare time created.

I couldn’t agree more with the concept of prioritizing and the arguments made by the commentators to this post are actually in accordance with my argument. Spending time with your children or with your spouse should obviously have a higher economic value which most certainly justifies outsourcing our chores. I was merely trying to offer my readers a refreshing way of thinking about their spending habits. I most certainly believe most people have the time available to do their chores and choose to outsource them as this is a common practice these days. I personally don’t know many people who work 70-80 hour work weeks….

The last sentence in my post was “It is important to note that I believe having a big family, with two kids and more, changes the basic premises. The time required to properly tend to several children is obviously much greater and changes considerations”.

Maybe I should have been a bit clearer on the subject. I do apologize if I offended anyone. It was never my intention. It did get my writings a mention on MSN money ….

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Abby from I Pick Up Pennies for writing this excellent post as a follow-up.

No comments: